What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

lowfat

Staff member
Heh... so looking into this, even if I decided I wanted to buy a bltouch I'd still have to use an arduino to flash a bootloader onto it? I don't suppose the improved stepper motherboard has a bootloader?

What board? You can use absolutely any board you want to w/ the 3d printer if you wish. Any 3d party boards will have a bootloader. If you ever decide to upgrade the board you absolutely should buy a 32-bit board. They make some now that are dirt cheap. Because the Ender 3 is so popular, you'd absolutely be able to find pre compiled firmwares out there for Marlin 2.0 (32 bit).

sswilson

Staff member
Creality has a "silent" board with improved stepper controls that I'm assuming don't whine......

edit:

Hrmmm.... claims that it supports bl-touch.... not sure if that means without having to update the firmware with a boot loader.....

lowfat

Staff member
Absolutely don't buy that board. Its way too expensive and its way outdated. SKR made an Ender 3 version of their board that will be plug n play w/ its connectors. 32-bit vs 8 bit, TMC2209 vs TMC2208, $35 vs $60.

sswilson

Staff member
Absolutely don't buy that board. Its way too expensive and its way outdated. SKR made an Ender 3 version of their board that will be plug n play w/ its connectors. 32-bit vs 8 bit, TMC2209 vs TMC2208, $35 vs $60.

Damnit!!!!!!!! I want one now..... :)

So something like that is pretty much plug and play and octoprint would work in a similar fashion? I can honestly see a bltouch somewhere in my near future and this board would make that pretty much plug and play as well......

lowfat

Staff member
Damnit!!!!!!!! I want one now..... :)

So something like that is pretty much plug and play and octoprint would work in a similar fashion? I can honestly see a bltouch somewhere in my near future and this board would make that pretty much plug and play as well......

99.9% of printers use a variation of the same firmware Marlin. But the Ender 3 and others use a stripped down version due to its super cheap CPU. In theory you could use any 3d printer board out there for your printer. The only problem is there is no standard when it comes to connectors. But supposedly the SKR E3 Mini uses the same connectors and pinouts as Creality to make it PnP.

Its crazy how that board is $35. 2 years ago, a significantly crappier 32-bit board cost me over $100. And it was still from China. :(

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... now I've got to go back and pay attention to which model would be the most plug/play for me.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Well... the dirty deed is done. Total of $36.37 and I had to stop myself from throwing a bltouch into the cart on top of it..... :)

sswilson

Staff member
On a less costly note (although it must be noted that $37 isn't exactly what I'd call expensive, especially if buying an aruino was necessary for other options... ) the square bed print does appear to work as advertised, unfortunately it also appears to have pointed to a couple of points on the outer regions my print surface that won't adhere (if it won't adhere you keep adjusting "closer" until it gets to the point that it's obvious you're restricting flow by being too close). Maybe I'll give the glass surface another go while I wait for the mainboard to get here on a boat.

Latest posts