What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Post your Network

catguy

re: copssh

thanks for the info lcdguy, i have installed copssh but i'm not sure what to do with it do i have to use port 21 on my router to use it? if so telus already is using port 21 for email so they have it blocked.
one of the reason i got this liniksys router was because of the usb port wheere i could plug in an external router, making the router become a sever, but now i find that i can't use it because of port 21 being blocked, seems like i have a bit of a problem :nono: boo hiss telus

lcdguy

Folding Team
ok as i don't know what your level of computer knowledge is i will try to go slow. if it seems like i am treating you like you don't know anything i am sorry.

First to make life easier register at No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP and get your self a general domain name associated with your IP. Next download the noip client. this makes life easier if your internet connection uses a dynamic ip address instead of a static one.

once you have that setup you can then configure copssh to run on any port you like as long as it's abouve port 1024 and below port 65535. for example you could set it to run on port 22567 if you want. To configure copssh to run on a different port is a little tricky as you need to edit some config files then restart the sshd service.

first go to the program group from your start button and find copssh, click on the one titled Start a windows command shell. when you do this a command window will open and place you in the copssh program folder. type cd etc. this will put you in the etc directory. this is where the config files are located. open both ssh_config and sshd_config. i would recommend using either the edit command or notepad to open the files as a wordprocessor would add extra code to the files and really mess them up.
to open in edit type: edit <file name>
to open in notepad type: notepad <file name>

once you have made the changes save your new config files. we now need to restart the service. this can be achived by rebooting but it is much easier to just go into the services console and restart the sshd service. once you have done this and you don't get any errors you should be now running your ssh server on the new port.

now we need to configure copssh to allow users to log in. basically you can only add users that have an account on your computer access to ssh/sftp. the nice thing with copssh is it has a nice wizard that helps you to do this. if you need help using the wizard please let me know. once the account has been given access to ssh you have 2 more steps to do.

we now have to open a port on your router. you need to forward tcp.udp traffic on the port you specified to the ip of the computer where copssh is running. make sure that if you have a firewall running on that computer that you either disable it or create a rul for copssh.

once you have created the rule you should now be able to connect to your server. to test this you can try one of two things.

1. download putty and try to log into your computer using either your internet ip and port or the noip domain and port
2. download win scp and try to connect.

the one thing you need to remember is that when connecting to this service since we are using a custom port number you need to specify this.

examaple: <domain name or ip>:<port number>

that should be it.

because of how ssh works if you need to browse to a folder/drive outside of the copssh folder you will need to go up in the tree until you see a folder called cygdrive. clicking on that will give you folders for each hd installed.

i hope this helps. if any part of this is confusing for you let me know. you could also contact me on msn. i am usually online around 7pm to 12:00-1:00am every day.

lcdguy

Folding Team
My Network Updated

SO i guess i would add my machines on my network to this thread as well.

Main Rig

AMD Opteron 165 (toledo)
2GB OCZ XTC GX DDR PC-3500
320GB Seagate SATA II x4
ATI Raedon X1900XT 512MB
Antec NEO HE 500
Antec Sonata
Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 Digital SND Card
LG DVDRW DL
Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" LCD
Dual 10/100/1000 nics

HTPC

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (new castle)
1 GB Corsair C2 DDR
250GB Seagate SATA II x4
10 GB Seagate EIDE
OCZ 420w PSU
Nvidia Geforce FX5200
Thermaltake Bach
Bluegears X-Mystique 7.1 Digital SND Card
Epson Powerlite S3 Projector
10/100/1000 nic

Laptop

AMD Athlon 3000+ (claw hammer)
512MB DDR
60GB HD
DVDRW
Gefore2go 420 32MB
JBL Pro Sound
15.1" Widescreen LCD
Compaq Case
10/100 nic
wifi 802.11b/g

NAS

Intel Storageworks SS4000e
200GB Seagate x1
36GB Raptor x1
dual 10/100/1000 nic

pscout

Fallen Folder
I see your a Netgear fan as well.:biggrin:

my old rt314 has served me well for years ... even tho 1 port died a while ago.

I bought all that stuff refurbed on ebay ... go a pretty good price since i bought it on new years day and i think everyone else was hungover :biggrin:

It was certainly much better than retail grade and 'eqivalent' priced stuff and canadian sourced so no duties etc.

I have it sort of installed, but am still running the rt314 in parallel for my sons stuff. I still need to figure out the right firewall and routing rules although i have the vlan segregation working ... well not breaking most of my normal uses at least. Have noticed a few win file sharing changes but not sure why yet ... also need to figure out samba so i can monitor about a dozen linux folding rigs from windoze.

Unfortunately iI only gets sporadic attention ... when i am not working on the ever changing folding rigs.

The new router did help my folding out tho ... i am just not sure why ... I had started to have trouble downloading large wu's on my linux boxes so had to switch them to win smp clients. Either the rt314 was causing the problem (unlikely since it had been working ok with large wu downloads) or the addition of a second ip address because of the second router somehow avoided a filter in sympatico service, or more likley at stanford.

I want to figure out root cause, but haven't had enuf time to focus on it.

The neatgear stuff does have a nice web interface, and prety good monitoring.

Rhinofart

British Columbia. The Okanagan to be exact.
LOL I AM a LAN nerd!!

LOL I do suck and need a life!!!
Shaw Business Extreme Cable Modem & Telus Business Highspeed ADSL Both with static IPs
Cisco RV082 Router (Dual ISP with built in failover and loadbalancing)
Microsoft ISA Server 2006 running on an HP DL360 (2xP3 Xeon 1.4's with 2 gigs of RAM, Gigabit network connections to internal equipment)
Cisco RV042 Router
Seccond ISA Server Identical to previous mention.
HP Procurve 2900-24g Switch
Rest of Internal Network all running GigE (Classified)

All legit, and all legal. Did I mention that I run my business from my home? Well now that would explain the high end equipment! :thumb:

lcdguy

Folding Team
LOL I do suck and need a life!!!
Shaw Business Extreme Cable Modem & Telus Business Highspeed ADSL Both with static IPs
Cisco RV082 Router (Dual ISP with built in failover and loadbalancing)
Microsoft ISA Server 2006 running on an HP DL360 (2xP3 Xeon 1.4's with 2 gigs of RAM, Gigabit network connections to internal equipment)
Cisco RV042 Router
Seccond ISA Server Identical to previous mention.
HP Procurve 2900-24g Switch
Rest of Internal Network all running GigE (Classified)

All legit, and all legal. Did I mention that I run my business from my home? Well now that would explain the high end equipment! :thumb:

now if were going to get companies involved. While i can't give exact specifics but we have in the range of 50-80 servers and 3 sans :)

sswilson

Staff member
something tells me that my companies network might span a larger distance (we in just about every province :)

Heh......

Ok, let's just get this over with guys.......

Everybody whip out their networks and we'll compare....... :whistle:

Latest posts