What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

FreeKnight

Speaking of UPS's, I was just looking into some myself since I just purchased a new rig. I usually buy a power surge protector but I want something reliable. Any particular brands I should avoid? What about the wattage? What's a good number to go by?

The cyberpower ones seem reasonably reputable, and most tech stores sell them which means you can set a price alert on PC Part Picker (or Camelcamelcamel for Amazon only).

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/tools/runtimes/
Has a rough calculator. You could use a PSU calculator tool to get an accurate idea of draw (and include monitor or anything plugged into it). I'd just roughly assume off your PSU rating and an extra could be additional buffer. I'd personally have a little more than less in case I can't shut the computer down right away.

Lpfan4ever

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that whatever you find in-store is cheaper by far. The "free shipping" is definitely factored into that cost, considering how heavy a UPS is.

Also now that you mention it, I think I have the 1300 model at home. For some reason 1000 sounded right at the time :whistle:

supaflyx3

Well so far I've narrowed it down to the psu, I was able to get it to boot with the gpus removed & a spare 500w psu installed. On my way home with a new psu to install, if that's all that's dead I'll be buying a ups tomorrow fml

FreeKnight

We had a rash of break-ins and thefts from the secured underground lot in my building over the last few days. Saturday night/Sunday Morning they stole my Giant Cyclocross bike, as well a a number of others. Didn't just bolt cut chain locks or anything, even cut steel railing in some instances to get bikes. They seem to know what they were looking for as they left a bunch of the old shitty bikes some people had.

What's most annoying is that the 5-0 still hasn't come by. We can't report the crimes online as they are technically B&Es not just theft. Obviously Underground parkade theft is a relatively low-risk and low-priority crime, but it's crazy how long they're taking :S

Shadowmeph

Police send a theft person and those people ( especially lower mainland BC) are very busy when my place was broken into years ago it took 12 hrs for them to show up becasue it isn't an emergency/ priority. it isn't the polices fault it is they way they are set up for priority calls . I think most city's need more police and especially the theft divisions becasue when it comes to thing like major crimes it is pretty much connected . you will get smart Druggies that will set up a crew just to steel thing like Bikes or what ever is on the list of needs they steel the stuff trade it for cash or most of the times Drugs I know this because many years ago a few acquaintances I knew used to be the list givers .

Lysrin

I don't rant a whole lot but sheese the forums are quiet today so I just thought I would mention that I would like to formally object to daylight-savings time. I don't like the fall-back or the spring-forward (although I like the fall-back a little better), and it messes up my daughter's sleep patterns! After dragging my butt through a dark winter, just when I am starting to enjoy the light walking the dog in the morning... WHAMMO! Back to darkness for you! :blarg: Plus, drivers more tired than normal on a Monday morning is never a good thing!

I object. End daylight-savings time. That is all.

Last edited:

mGz

Ridiculous... Gas prices are hitting 150.9/l and it's still winter. I'm sorry but Vancouverites always get the shaft when it comes to paying for gas. Canadians are way too soft, and will always bend over and do nothing about it unfortunately. Maybe if we refined most of our dirty oil it wouldn't be so bad. Instead, we send it to the US to get refined... Genius...

Watch prices hit the mid 160's come summer.

Latest posts