What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RTX 4070 Super reviews are live

Bond007

I haven't watched or read anything yet, so I will try to update after I get through a few independent reviews with my thoughts.

Techpowerup has a handful of reviews on different models, but I will link to the FE version.

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

Groove

Pretty much in line with what was expected in terms of performance. I took a bit of a gamble and bought a 4070 during boxing week since there was a few deals going on for the 4070. I figured that there would be no way the super variant would end up anywhere near what I paid for my 4070. Newegg has some listed right now for $810+. But that may just be a placeholder price, we'll see what the prices end up to be when its actually in stock.

Last edited:

Bond007

Agree based on what I have seen so far. No surprises, with performance between the non-super and Ti. Street pricing will really be the deciding factor on this one.

A couple reviews:

Arinoth

Staff member
I am glad to see it's not really surprising anyone either about these partial refreshes, at least in here anyway.

crazyea

Is it a decent purchase at $829.99 for the FE or is the 4070 series still not recommended?

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Is it a decent purchase at $829.99 for the FE or is the 4070 series still not recommended?
Assuming budget is not a factor it totally depends on your use case & resolution. I wouldnt use a 70 series on any modern games above 1080p

Lysrin

I liked the line in the HWC video. Not exact quote, but something like it's 3090 performance at 2/3 of the power consumption and 40% of its MSRP, it just took us three and a half years to get here :)

It has some pluses, as @Sagath said, for certain uses, and the HWC video does mention small form factor for example, but it 100% just feels like padding the lineup to me and isn't exciting imo.

Bond007

I would say it 100% depends on how much you value the nvidia feature set (specifically the ray tracing advantage) and reduced power consumption over the 7800XT's extra 4GB vram. All the reviews are based on USD pricing, which doesn't always directly work.

If I use the TPU chart in the OP, a 7800XT is 93% as fast as this. So 93% of $830 is $772 for equivalent FPS/$. Right now the 7800XT is selling for $670 for the cheapest and a good selection at $700. So is a ~$70 to $100 premium and loss of 4gb of VRAM reasonable to you for the extra features/lower power consumption? I will leave my own thoughts out of it, but that is the question you need to answer for yourself to guide a purchase decision in this performance class.
Assuming budget is not a factor it totally depends on your use case & resolution. I wouldnt use a 70 series on any modern games above 1080p
Obviously subjective, but I think this class of card is perfectly fine and well suited to 1440 as well (or settings reduced 4k for those that prefer more pixels over higher settings in this class)...but I understand that it would depend on what you expect for FPS/settings in demanding games.

Last edited:

crazyea

I have a 4k monitor so 4090 or stick with my ps5 then? Lol.

Edit. Sorry not an AMD gpu fan at all. Last one I bought was 20 years ago. (Outside of consoles)

Latest posts