What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Speaker recommendations

Prickly007

Are you interested in a full amp+speaker setup, or do you want powered?

Open to either, I think. I don't really want huge 1980s style equipment though, i.e. a stereo receiver.

Depends if you want high quality bang for buck, or if you want to push into more audiophile costs.

What would be a step above the A5+?

Audiophile costs is a rather nebulous phrase. ;) During my early research, one phrase that came up often was "Budget Audiophile", so call that the upper price limit. Does that even help? :whistle:

Edit: Don't really gave space constraints, but also don't want to clutter things up too badly (see above comment). My subwoofer is on the floor in front of my desk, there's two or three feet before the TV area starts.

Bond007

Well...Elac debut 2.0 b6.2 are very well rated (haven’t heard them myself) and I would say probably better than the a5+...but they aren’t powered, so you have to deal with the extra wires, amp, etc

https://www.amazon.ca/ELAC-Debut-Bo...558572932&s=gateway&sprefix=elac+debut&sr=8-1

Then it would be up to the UB...from there you go up into around the $1k range...lots of arguing on what’s best there...I don’t shop in that price range for bookshelf, so I will leave it to others if you are going that high end.

supaflyx3

+1 for the Micca mb42x, I've had a pair for a couple years with a 100W 2.1 desk Amp along with a cheapo sub. They sound fantastic and you won't find anything else comparable for under $350-$500

Bond007

IMO diminishing returns is above those I recommended for that size speaker. If you go to a much larger speaker it would be higher $...if you want bigger.

Izerous

Folding Team
I had a full 5.1 system in the living room with all the knobs and dials... then my oldest learnt how to crawl and eventually how to stand. As hilarious as it was to watch her turn the volume up and turn it to a radio station that didn't exist and have her scable across the room I ended up picking up a LAP340 on major discount. It is complete garbage for watching movies the difference in volume between dialog and explosions and everything else made it near impossible to enjoy using. I didn't end up selling it but have been using it as speakers for my desktop then eventually in the office. I have had the office to myself all week the volume has been a lot higher than normal and it is far from horrible.

With the desktop a single optical out cable to the unit made it easy to manage... with the macbook using bluetooth.

There are some other soundbar/plates I have seen that i'd at least consider using with computer, even maybe mounting a sound bar right above the monitors for example.

Prickly007

Time for a question that demonstrates what a utter and total n00b I am when it comes to audio equipment.... Assuming I need either 75/300 or 100W/400W (Cont/Peak) for an eventual 2.1 system (sub would need 150W/300W), what would be a good amplifier?

Smaller is better!! Everything I found on Amazon.com doesn't have enough power.

I am leaning towards passive speakers... still reading speaker reviews; which is why I am not saying the exact model.

Edit: The speakers I am still researching have a high efficiency (didn't know that was thing)... so what are some good amps?

Last edited:

enaberif

Time for a question that demonstrates what a utter and total n00b I am when it comes to audio equipment.... Assuming I need either 75/300 or 100W/400W (Cont/Peak) for an eventual 2.1 system (sub would need 150W/300W), what would be a good amplifier?

Smaller is better!! Everything I found on Amazon.com doesn't have enough power.

I am leaning towards passive speakers... still reading speaker reviews; which is why I am not saying the exact model.

Edit: The speakers I am still researching have a high efficiency (didn't know that was thing)... so what are some good amps?

You are way overthinking everything.

Latest posts