What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

Zero82z

Banned
While you may have a valid point about Dangtx. You and enaberif are by and large two of the first people who belong on the list of "I need to be friggin banned".
By your own admission, you should be number one on that list.

The fact is, you're partially right. HWC is a private site and the staff have no obligations to cater to the members. On the other hand, this forum is a community. You don't build a successful community by running things with a my way or the highway mentality. You do it by listening to the desires and concerns of the members, and building the rules and systems around how they want things to be. That is how you attract new people and how you convince new members to join. So although Gav and the staff are not obligated to listen to any of the things we say, it is in their best interests to do so anyway, and the existence of this thread is proof that Gav agrees with that concept.
In order for the forums to improve here, Dangtx just need to take a spelling exam and slow down a bit when he types - you need to just shut up.
And all that we ever wanted was basically for the mods to ask him to do just that. I just need to shut up? If the mods had listened in the first place, then I wouldn't be complaining at all. All it takes is for the staff to pay attention to the complaints of the members, but instead they decided to ignore them. And unlike some people, when I see something that I perceive to be a problem, I point it out rather than keeping my mouth shut. Rather than complaining about the fact that I'm complaining, maybe you should consider the validity of my complaints instead.

encorp

By your own admission, you should be number one on that list.

I said that earlier, nothing new here. I know full and well the line I walk around here. I understand exactly where I sit and my departure could come at anytime should I choose not to follow the rules one too many times.

The fact is, you're partially right. HWC is a private site and the staff have no obligations to cater to the members. On the other hand, this forum is a community. You don't build a successful community by running things with a my way or the highway mentality. You do it by listening to the desires and concerns of the members, and building the rules and systems around how they want things to be. That is how you attract new people and how you convince new members to join. So although Gav and the staff are not obligated to listen to any of the things we say, it is in their best interests to do so anyway, and the existence of this thread is proof that Gav agrees with that concept.

I think this thread is grasping at straws and I don't think anyone thinks anything will actually come of it. Truthfully, regardless of whatever "outcome" could even remotely come of this thread, the admins of this site will do whatever it is they think is in the best long term interests of the community as a whole. At the end of the day people in situations like this need to just be told what to do... the herd needs culling and you cut out the bad apples.

Moderating posts for content is just crazy... if a topic is not worth discussing or you can't understand what the person is saying then it'll just die - but it's people like you who keep the issue alive instead; so again, you are the problem - not the bad posts. Since all internet communities have useless topics in them and it is outside the scope of the admins job to even worry about it, it's not worth their time to spend all their own personal energy moderating how people type.

Communication is a two way road. It is 50% your job to try and understand what someone is saying and 50% their job to try and describe it in the best way they know how.

If you care enough to bitch and complain, then really you shouldn't be bothering the moderators. You should PM said person and try and understand what they are trying to say and then help them accordingly.

Instead what you are saying is that every native french speaking person, or those with disabilities (as I so harshly learned myself) should put more than their 50% into communicating with YOU.

And all that we ever wanted was basically for the mods to ask him to do just that. I just need to shut up? If the mods had listened in the first place, then I wouldn't be complaining at all. All it takes is for the staff to pay attention to the complaints of the members, but instead they decided to ignore them. And unlike some people, when I see something that I perceive to be a problem, I point it out rather than keeping my mouth shut. Rather than complaining about the fact that I'm complaining, maybe you should consider the validity of my complaints instead.

See here is the issue you don't seem to understand. There is nothing, anywhere that says the mods should, could, would have any vested interest in, or feel any need to want to waste their time and energy listening to you. You feel you have something to say and you feel that everyone should listen to it. What I'm trying to say is that the moderators would RATHER read Dangtx stupid posts than listen to your constant whining.

I've considered that your comments are not valid. I don't think that any moderator should chase after Dangtx or other members and teach them how to spell. I think that if people just stopped worrying about their posts, they would figure it out on their own and start typing properly or risk being ignored. Also keep in mind some posters here are physically disabled and cannot actually type properly (again, as I learned earlier on my own).

What YOU are essentially doing, is sending messages to these guys, who all have kids, wives, girlfriends, jobs, lives, things to do in their spare time and whining insistently that YOU are having a hard time with ANOTHER member. I would imagine they are sick of listening to it. You're also lucky they have been so good about it, because if I was a mod - I'd just tell you to shove it.

In an essence dude, you're taddle-taleing. They told you not to do that in kindergarten.

Last edited:

MAC

Associate Review Editor
This is going to be quick:

The problem is the combination of the two. He makes a significant amount of posts, many (possibly even most) of which contain either no useful information or information that is either outright wrong or simply too general or basic to be helpful.

Just FYI, your 'Posts Per Day' count is double Dangtx's. Given that elevated number, should the moderators go through your post history to ensure that everything you post is useful, specific, accurate information? No, and they never will. We are not going to open Pandora's box of having to evaluate the content quality of posts. If the posts are within the rules that we have already outlined, that's all we care about.

All of my requests were either denied or completely ignored, despite the fact that several other members made it clear that they have the same issue. The fact that none of the staff were willing to even take such a basic action to attempt to improve the state of affairs is simply unacceptable to me.

The fact that you and your buddies are seemingly incapable or unwilling to use the IGNORE feature is simply unacceptable to us.

encorp

MAC, it's incapable not uncapable.

I'm sick of your laziness - you should be moderated or banned!
:clap:

MAC

Associate Review Editor
MAC, it's incapable not uncapable.

I'm sick of your laziness - you should be moderated or banned!
:clap:

Damn, that's why I said I was making it quick, I'm exhausted.

Anyways...I fixed it, so :bleh:

Desiato

pov from a new member/former lurker/ancient bbs user:

wow, some high and mighty attitudes from some! every single person on this planet is an obnoxious, ignorant ass about something, including you. all of you. and if you don't think so, that pretty much proves it. ;) I hate to tell you this, but you don't know it all, even if it seems that way to you.

some of these posts remind of my years in tech support when $12/hr techs in a dead end job would make fun of surgeons because they couldn't configure a modem on their own...

personally, I think what's required is more empathy and understanding. diversity benefits the community more than a group of clones whom take themselves too seriously.

Sushi Warrior

Encorp, I think you underestimate the number of people who didn't like Dan's habits. It was not "just zero" bitching about it. QUITE a few people agreed his posting habits were bad. All it took was ONE warning or infraction from a mod to get the message to "smarten up" right to him.

Instead, at least 4 members trying to take matters into their own hands due to the (perceived?) lack of action received warnings.

I don't know how well you can imagine being a mod but I would love you to explain how handing out warnings to 4+ people was easier/better than ONE. SINGLE. MESSAGE. To one member.

encorp

Encorp, I think you underestimate the number of people who didn't like Dan's habits. It was not "just zero" bitching about it. QUITE a few people agreed his posting habits were bad. All it took was ONE warning or infraction from a mod to get the message to "smarten up" right to him.

Instead, at least 4 members trying to take matters into their own hands due to the (perceived?) lack of action received warnings.

I don't know how well you can imagine being a mod but I would love you to explain how handing out warnings to 4+ people was easier/better than ONE. SINGLE. MESSAGE. To one member.

So 4 of you decided to irritate the crap out of the mods? I would have handed you all warnings too.

Latest posts