What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Has anybody done a metal extruder top upgrade yet?

Just got mine in, and I'm noticing that the screws are too long.... at first I thought perhaps the enders had different stepper lots and that the screws for the kit worked on an earlier stepper, but going back to the original top with the original screws they also seem to be too long..... I'm scratching my head... I can't imagine it's supposed to be free-floating......... (It's like there's a washer and/or spacer missing.... ).

edit: Never mind.... complete brain fart..... (Stimpy... you eeediot!!!!! ).

I was trying to mount it directly to the motor top instead of through the mount to the motor. :cautious:

Last edited:

danmitch1

Has anybody done a metal extruder top upgrade yet?

Just got mine in, and I'm noticing that the screws are too long.... at first I thought perhaps the enders had different stepper lots and that the screws for the kit worked on an earlier stepper, but going back to the original top with the original screws they also seem to be too long..... I'm scratching my head... I can't imagine it's supposed to be free-floating......... (It's like there's a washer and/or spacer missing.... ).
This thing?
IMG_20200317_132903803.jpg

Entz

That is the one I have as well. I don't remember having any issues but it is possible there is a spacer missing.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
That is the one I have as well. I don't remember having any issues but it is possible there is a spacer missing.
As per my edit above..... "Somebody" was trying to pre-mount the top onto the stepper without the frame mount in between them. It's all good now... top installed and it seems to be working fine. :)

danmitch1

I added a washer to compress the spring alittle , it was slipping a bit ,now its good.

(Ren and Stimpy fan eh! )
IMG_20200317_140240074.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
I'm curious though.... was the "spring washer" in the image above part of the kit or something you decided to throw in yourself?

I must say.... it's a pretty decent $10 upgrade. The whole mechanism feels a lot more substantial, and the metallic red paint is satisfyingly blingy.

edit: I see you already answered my question.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
yeah it is a nice cheap upgrade without going full direct drive.
There's also a mid upgrade without going full direct drive... some of the metal upgrade kits (IIRC they're about twice the normal price) are "dual drive" and have both surfaces notched and then geared together as opposed to the stock ones which are just the one notched and the other grooved on a bearing.

Not sure how effective that is, but if I had known about the two different types I probably would have grabbed one of the dual drive ones.