What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone else sick of alien games?

vinister

Man there is like zero creativity in here! Mutants, Zombies, Ghouls, these are all aliens... same category.

What else is there to shoot at but humans and aliens?? Helloooooooo, maybe something, GASP, creative?? Those are the only 2 you can think of because you've been brainwashed by all these hundreds of games. It's not just what you're shooting at either. I'm perfectly fine with shooting humans, but I'm bored by the same locations and scenarios all the time. A sandy city. A jungle. An alien ship. That about covers all the game locations in the last decade.

I have wanted to shoot many people in my life but never was it because they were a zombie, never because they were trying to attack my homeland, and never because they were from another planet. I'd like a good "corrupt-corporation-intelligence-violence" game or something. Geez just something new with no war and no aliens but still guns... is that so difficult?

Bioshock is a great example of creativity, it was fun and I loved it. But thats just one game, and its creativity was pretty limited.

I also agree with the superhero thing. Superhero games have mad potential but they always suck because they are based on some lame movie. By continually basing games on hollywood movies and comic books we are limiting games to those paradigms.

I just don't see anything coming up this year that presents anything new. Same game, better graphics. bleh... its like most new games should really just come out as a patch for the last game. Vegas 2? Farcry 2? "here is how we wanted it to look/play the first time, sorry, will you buy it again please?" And we will, because we're sheep, and as a result they will just keep making the same game because we keep buying it over and over.

Last edited:

tzetsin

LOL Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Thund3rball

Man there is like zero creativity in here! Mutants, Zombies, Ghouls, these are all aliens... same category.

What else is there to shoot at but humans and aliens?? Helloooooooo, maybe something, GASP, creative??

Bioshock is a great example of creativity, it was fun and I loved it. But thats just one game, and its creativity was pretty limited.

Uhm if I am not mistaken ...and I am not... you were shooting at mutants (genetically modified humans) in Bioshock. Don't get me wrong I LOVE that game. But they are mutants nonetheless. So try again please :whistle:

magictorch

I think atmosphere and storyline are more important than what you are shooting at. I was very disappointed with crysis once I Ihad got to the alien part-the end-it was like going back to an 80's arcade shooter concept.

RE: FPS games Id quite like to see something that makes me feel like Im immersed in a real good, surreal movie.

I wouldn't mind playing in something along the lines of the film Jacobs ladder-- or the Steven King film where the guy could see into the future and had to shoot the future president...or the shining-(you play the little boy). Theres so much that could be achieved with unoriginal material-let alone original material.

Also introducing meaningful relations with characters is essential and it would be good to see an improvement in the level of interactivity .e.g. your behavior affects a characters emotions which in turn affects the characters behavior and the course of the game.

Last edited:

iv:xx

Someone watches Zero Punctuation.

FPS's, the good ones anyway, are all about the story and the environment. Half Life 1 and 2, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock...they're good because the story is compelling and the gameplay is immersive. Crysis is good, but only if you have a PC to play all the eye candy.

FPS's are supposed to be like a movie you can play. Who gives a shit if it's Arabs or Soviets or aliens, as long as the story makes me want to keep playing.

Amon

I find that Alien versus Predator 2 (2001, Sierra) was the only alien-themed gamed I've ever played that did it remotely right. There's a mysticism in the alien motif that game designers use in combination with the player's imagination for a very far-off sensation of fantasy. Take Mass Effect as an example. It's full of aliens that we don't interact with every day in reality, which adds to the fascination of the theme.

AvP2, on the other hand, used the alien theme in a much more realistic manner, unlike the dreamy Star Wars-esque intergalactic friendship approach that every other game uses; they are a frightening race of savage hunters. It's an extension of our current, real-life attitude towards extraterrestrials: that we are scared.

Mr. Cipher

I thought the mystical story line of Halo could have really been good for the PC if the graphics weren't so bad. I really enjoyed the epic dimensions of that story (or maybe it was the music that made me feel as if I really was the only person able to save Earth's last survivors).

Latest posts