What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

anabioz

Working on installing radiators in Fractal torrent. Fighting w/ it for about an hour to shoehorn in the 2x180mm + 3x140mm. Finally get them in. Just to realize the ports on the 3x120mm are blocked by a fan on the 2x180mm. If you read my post in my thread I first tried a 2x140mm but the fan would hit my SSD. Fine I guess I can ditch my ol' Samsung 950 boot drive and just use the 2 2TB SX8200 Pros.

BUT I just did a fresh install of Windows recently and had it tweaked absolutely perfect. Tons of registry tweaks to get it just right. I'll try cloning it. Desktop is down and can't really use it as I have no GPU available and it has a CPU block w/ no loop.

Have an Orico USB-C NVMe enclosure that I've never used. Hook up to Dell laptop. Toss in first NVMe drive, says partition is invalid. Second and the Samsung 950 Pro all do the same. Open up laptop and toss first ADATA NVMe drive in the free slot. Works. Do a backup on it so I can wipe it. All good.

Have Samsung 950 Pro in USB-C enclosure and the ADATA in laptop. Hook up IODD (virtual optical drive) and mount clonezilla ISO. Go to boot to it. Dell laptop will not boot to anything except the stock NVMe SSD or ethernet. Tried disable secure boot any anything else I could find that would prevent it. Bios doesn't allow the selection of any other boot device.

OK, last shot I'll try using the USB-C enclosure + the IODD on my old desktop which is a miner. Locks up booting to IODD. Only system I've ever seen that it won't work on.... :(

OK, for real this is the last try. Download clonezilla and throw it on a USB drive. Boot to it....Won't see the damn boot drive in the USB-C enclosure.

:mad:

EDIT: I do believe I actually killed the Samsung 950 Pro. I removed the heatsink earlier so I could fit it in the USB-C enclosure. Went to wipe the drive and it shows up as 0GB.

It could be USB-C enclosure. I wouldn't panic, yet.

anabioz

I also tried it in the laptop. It is definitely dead.

damn... my condolences, did it have at least a sh*t load of writes to it? at the very least we want to commend it.

Jokes aside, I am also curious for myself, how could that have happened? a short of some sort killed the controller? I haven't come across this type of failure before...

sswilson

Staff member
Does the 5G wifi spec (not cell phone) have some form of anti network spoofing feature baked into it? I'm finding that resetting an AP but then recreating the same SSID + Password requires me to reconnect each device including the password.

Strangely enough.... that doesn't happen with every device in the house, only some of them (Amazon echos seem to reconnect fine, Firesticks do not).

Maybe it has something to do with pairing the 5G and 2.4G networks under the same name?

JD

Staff member
I think that's more a device issue, maybe it was in the midst of transitioning and then you also reset that AP? (I'm assuming you are resetting all your APs at roughly the same time)

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, full reset of the APs and network settings, but it's not isolated.... it's every new(ish) device that won't reconnect to the same named SSID and Password. It was only a few (and I'm thinking probably 2.4G) older devices that reconnected to the network. All of the new(er) devices "lost" the password on what had been set as "automatically connect".

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
this is a rant and a funny. on Saturday I asked the wife to grab some coffee cream for me on her way back from her folks place. she was absent minded apparently as she grabbed 3.25% milk. I said homogonized but later on she checked and said, 'it's worse'...she grabbed buttermilk, whic neither of us drink, LoL!

I do like buttermilk pancakes, so it won't go to waste. but I'm hobbling along on milk in my coffee! I mask the disappointment with a couple spoons of hot chocolate.

Izerous

Folding Team
Well not only did Telus jack up my bill they also removed the unlimited data on my connection when my contract ended. Just got an e-mail that i'm over quota.

Shaw showed up yesterday to do the hookup. They removed the "temporary" arial line like a year ago I had assumed that meant they put in a new ground line... nope turns out they never fixed the line so i can't even complete the switch over to Shaw until a picked truck shows up in the next couple days to run a new arial line again because they won't attempt to repair the inground line in the winter. It has been nearly 3 years since that line was damaged you would think they would have fixed it by now.

Shadowmeph

this is a rant and a funny. on Saturday I asked the wife to grab some coffee cream for me on her way back from her folks place. she was absent minded apparently as she grabbed 3.25% milk. I said homogonized but later on she checked and said, 'it's worse'...she grabbed buttermilk, whic neither of us drink, LoL!

I do like buttermilk pancakes, so it won't go to waste. but I'm hobbling along on milk in my coffee! I mask the disappointment with a couple spoons of hot chocolate.
I only use condensed milk and very little of it for my one mug of coffee a day .

Shadowmeph

Well not only did Telus jack up my bill they also removed the unlimited data on my connection when my contract ended. Just got an e-mail that i'm over quota.

Shaw showed up yesterday to do the hookup. They removed the "temporary" arial line like a year ago I had assumed that meant they put in a new ground line... nope turns out they never fixed the line so i can't even complete the switch over to Shaw until a picked truck shows up in the next couple days to run a new arial line again because they won't attempt to repair the inground line in the winter. It has been nearly 3 years since that line was damaged you would think they would have fixed it by now.
is it thew responsibility for the company or the home owner to fix the line that goes to the pole I am curious of this

Latest posts