What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here uses cast iron to cook?

FreeKnight

I've got quite a bit of Cast Iron, 2 lodge skillets, 1 lodge dutch oven, one ceramic coated dutch overn, one lodge flat pan and a lodge casserole dish.

Like anything there's time and places to use cast iron, and time and places for other things. I'd consider a good 10-12" cast iron skillet as important as having 1-2 good tri-clad frying pans, a decent pot and a set of knives. That can get you through 90% of your cooking needs.

I still prefer doing french omelettes in my Zwilling ceramic non-sticks though. My CI skillets are really well seasoned, but they're still not quite as good as newer non-sticks.

My CI casserole dish has actually turned out to be quite the gem for making loaves of brown butter cornbread and lemon loafs. Does an amazing job.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I want to get one of everything but the every day pan:
Lodge : Dual Handle Pans

cast iron is heavy and the wife has arthritis, so having the two handles will make for easier manipulation. it'll also stop bumping into handles sticking off the side of the stove. that drives me nuts when you've got something on all the elements. can't turn them in as they heat up and become untouchable!

the a couple griddle pans for flapjacks and steaks...a dutch oven or two...

otherwise, I am taken by the Lagostina Artiste-Clad Copper cookware set... :ph34r:

On2wheels

Where do you buy a Lodge brand pan in Canada?

I use a small-ish cast pan for pizza, makes a great pie but I've learned you can't be impatient, it really does need time to heat up in order to cook properly, getting that timing right is my biggest challenge, I wish there was a better science to it or rule book to follow.

The Great Gazoo

I bought a Le creuset dutch oven and braiser for my mother who loves cooking. It's expensive but it's the only way imo. Their lifetime warranty is amazing as well.

I bought both of these for my wife and she absolutely loves them. Yup very expensive but will last a lifetime. Just don't immerse them in cold water while hot or the finish will crack. It happened to my mom's like that about 30 years ago. She still uses it though.

FreeKnight

I bought both of these for my wife and she absolutely loves them. Yup very expensive but will last a lifetime. Just don't immerse them in cold water while hot or the finish will crack. It happened to my mom's like that about 30 years ago. She still uses it though.

Avoiding substantial temperature changes by quenching is pretty much a rule for any quality cookware. All-clad and Paderno's tri-clad lines warn against it, it's bad for carbon steel, a lot of non-sticks won't take it well either.

There's a lot of interesting metallurgy on the effects of heating and quenching on stress concentrators, residual stress, grain size and dendrite formation. Overkill for household concern, but we deal with it at work all the time.

Latest posts