What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Lian-Li PC-011 Air (RGB) Something old - Something new

sswilson

Staff member
Haven't really played with it much.... I've got my fan curve set more for silence than performance. Getting sub 60c @ 100% with sub 1K rpm on the fans (between 850 and 950). NVMe load temps are under 50c without any active cooling directed on it.

edit: That's with the pump set to about 20%, but higher pump speeds haven't made much difference in the past.

JD

Staff member
Looks good!

And if you grab a circular polarizer for your lens, you should be able to take relatively clear pictures through glass without the reflection.

Lysrin

Where did you connect the PWM for the pump?

Those are a lot better than my temps. But two rads on the CPU, I guess that's to be expected.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

Those are a lot better than my temps. But two rads on the CPU, I guess that's to be expected.

Heh... that's a pretty old school pump. There's a speed adjustment screwhead on the bottom but aside from that, it's not controllable I don't believe PWM was even a thing for fans when it was bought. My "b" model pump (fixed speed) has a 3 pin fan lead for the cpu header, but that's only for an rpm signal on boards which required a signal to run.

Looks good!

And if you grab a circular polarizer for your lens, you should be able to take relatively clear pictures through glass without the reflection.

I've got one... just never thought to pull it out to try... :(

Last edited:

danmitch1

Nice, was that ssd jury rigged or there is a mount there at the back? Looks cool there regardless. Also I thought I had alot of fans! Holy crap!

sswilson

Staff member
Nice, was that ssd jury rigged or there is a mount there at the back? Looks cool there regardless. Also I thought I had alot of fans! Holy crap!

Jury rigged. :) It's installed using the plastic stand-offs I mentioned earlier in the thread... initially I only had the bottom two posts installed in existing holes, but that was sagging a little bit at the top so I drilled a couple of extra holes for the top posts.

Lysrin

Heh... that's a pretty old school pump. There's a speed adjustment screwhead on the bottom but aside from that, it's not controllable I don't believe PWM was even a thing for fans when it was bought. My "b" model pump (fixed speed) has a 3 pin fan lead for the cpu header, but that's only for an rpm signal on boards which required a signal to run.

It was suggested I think in my build thread or maybe a PM to me, to just go with one of those pumps with the set screw. JD mentioned that his pump runs at a lower percentage when the PWN connection is not used. The EK site for the pump I bought says the pump will run at 100% when the PWM is not used. Seems to be the case. Old school set screw would have been easier! Old school FTW ;)

As I said, mine is still pretty quiet but I'd still like to experiment with reducing the pump speed to see what happens. It gets constant power from the molex, as I understand, so that means reducing the speed should be safe.

Just not sure if I can run it off the fan splitter. Thanks for the extra info!

Oh! And that Intel SSD does look cool up there in the back. Great idea!

sswilson

Staff member
That's a good point. What are the CPU temps?

Haven't really played with it much.... I've got my fan curve set more for silence than performance. Getting sub 60c @ 100% with sub 1K rpm on the fans (between 850 and 950). NVMe load temps are under 50c without any active cooling directed on it.

edit: That's with the pump set to about 20%, but higher pump speeds haven't made much difference in the past.

I did a bios update and did some mucking about with the OC settings after realizing that I had a pretty low OC set.

Doing a full stress test now, but currently running @ 5G with mid/high 60s load temps (67 highest peak across cores) @ 900 - 1050 RPM.

It was suggested I think in my build thread or maybe a PM to me, to just go with one of those pumps with the set screw. JD mentioned that his pump runs at a lower percentage when the PWN connection is not used. The EK site for the pump I bought says the pump will run at 100% when the PWM is not used. Seems to be the case. Old school set screw would have been easier! Old school FTW ;)

As I said, mine is still pretty quiet but I'd still like to experiment with reducing the pump speed to see what happens. It gets constant power from the molex, as I understand, so that means reducing the speed should be safe.

Just not sure if I can run it off the fan splitter. Thanks for the extra info!

Oh! And that Intel SSD does look cool up there in the back. Great idea!

PWM on the pump just seems weird to me as opposed to setting a fixed RPM... flow rate doesn't make that big of a difference to temps, it's your rad fans that should be adjusting to higher loads.

I'd be inclined to plug the rad fans into my cpu header, and plug the pump into a different header with a fixed speed setting. (Some motherboards have a pump specific header that I'm assuming can be pegged to a fixed rate).

Last edited:

Lysrin

I did a bios update and did some mucking about with the OC settings after realizing that I had a pretty low OC set.

Doing a full stress test now, but currently running @ 5G with mid/high 60s load temps (67 highest peak across cores) @ 900 - 1050 RPM.

PWM on the pump just seems weird to me as opposed to setting a fixed RPM... flow rate doesn't make that big of a difference to temps, it's your rad fans that should be adjusting to higher loads.

I'd be inclined to plug the rad fans into my cpu header, and plug the pump into a different header with a fixed speed setting. (Some motherboards have a pump specific header that I'm assuming can be pegged to a fixed rate).

Great temps!

Yeah the PWM on the pump in my case would only be for making the PC quieter, primary goal when at idle, without negatively impacting temps.

What you recommend is what I have set up currently: I have all the rad fans and the one case fan on the CPU fan header via the Swiftech PWM splitter, and the pump is hooked up to the W_PUMP+ header on the motherboard. That header isn't QFan controlled and runs the pump at 100%, but it is close to the pump location and since the pump runs at 100% with no PWM signal I figured might as well hook it up there. Originally I thought it might be a PWM header but manual says no. I haven't checked for a BIOS update though.

I'd basically like the pump to go to its lower PWM range, 40% according to EK, when PC is idle, on desktop.

Anyway, sorry sswilson! This is getting too much about comparing my set up to yours, and this thread is for us to bask in the glory of your build! :biggrin: If I need more help I'll bring it up in my own thread.

Great looking build again btw. Very nice improvement over version 1.0 with the Azza case IMO :thumb:

danmitch1

I thought pumps had to run at 100% ..or Is it just aio's. Did you get a big hunk of rubber with your case?

Twitter