What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Fixed angle 32" monitor stand (Pinball) & Front full width controller box

sswilson

Staff member
I was thinking more like mounting this from below kind of thing...

Full range of motion and adjustability so you could replace the panel with something similarly size and not have any real additional work. Would just need to tighten it well to not fall into the box over time. Nothing wooden would need to be adjustable.

I have a couple of those here at home (one of them's from PA, it may in fact be that exact one... :) ).... I have my doubts you'd be able to tighten it hard enough that it's going to hold up the weight of the TV/Monitor in that fashion. You'd be better off getting one of the flat/fixed ones and raising it off of the box bottom with a couple of 2X4"s.

There's also the issue I ran into when I had my original gas shock mount setup attached to the same desk/table as the controller was on.... the single point of contact (in this case the one bolt holding the vesa plate) is highly susceptible to movement and there's no way around that without removing external forces (in my case, moving the mount to a different table/desk) or shoring the monitor up with more secure contact points.

It's like putting a weight on the end of a fishing pole and trying to keep it from moving around....

no actual lever buttons on the side? :oops:

?

My buttons are on the controller. This was always intended as a stand, not as a full cabinet.

danmitch1

Nice job, You should print out some thin panels to cover up the wood. Give it a finished look.

sswilson

Staff member
Quick question for folks in the know.........

Because of the way the monitors need to be arranged/setup (top monitor has to be primary, but gameplay is on the lower one) Gsync can't be enabled on the main play screen..... I had been letting it run unfettered and was getting between 95 & 100 FPS with 4K DSR enabled, but now that I've got win10 ver 2004 installed and it seems to be doing multiple refresh rates fine I got to thinking that maybe I should limit the refresh rate to the native 75hz by enabling vsync.

I've looked at it with and without vsync and I'm not really seeing any difference other than the fact that the fps overlay reads 75 vice 95-100, so I'm wondering if there's an optimum choice between 75hz vsync on/off?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Could only affect input latency in some cases. Probably won't matter, especially for pinball.

curious why you can't make the 32 the main tho? Must be a limitation of the program, not windows?

sswilson

Staff member
Could only affect input latency in some cases. Probably won't matter, especially for pinball.

curious why you can't make the 32 the main tho? Must be a limitation of the program, not windows?

Yeah it's the way the program's cabinet mode is set up for multi-monitor displays. The backglass monitor has to be set up as primary and then you launch the game in full screen mode from an icon on the monitor below it.

As far as input latency goes.... that did come up while I was trying to find a definitive answer online, and what I'm leaning towards is that input latency might indeed affect pinball gameplay (the game is after all about responding quickly to the actions of the ball) so I'm thinking I should turn vsync off unless I see screen tearing.... does that sound logical?

lowfat

Staff member
Yeah it's the way the program's cabinet mode is set up for multi-monitor displays. The backglass monitor has to be set up as primary and then you launch the game in full screen mode from an icon on the monitor below it.

As far as input latency goes.... that did come up while I was trying to find a definitive answer online, and what I'm leaning towards is that input latency might indeed affect pinball gameplay (the game is after all about responding quickly to the actions of the ball) so I'm thinking I should turn vsync off unless I see screen tearing.... does that sound logical?
Nvidia GPU? If so you can use fast sync. Or you can use Rivatuner's scanline sync. V sync shouldn't really be used this day n age.

sswilson

Staff member
Nvidia GPU? If so you can use fast sync. Or you can use Rivatuner's scanline sync. V sync shouldn't really be used this day n age.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can do that for the pinball game without setting it globally for all games/monitors? (the game doesn't show up in programs, and the shortcut references a "steam game id" as opposed to the exe).

Still looking into it but I'm assuming I don't want the global settings if I can't find a way to limit the setting to that monitor or particular game?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I was sure you could select gsync display by screen in the nvidia control panel.

also, vsync matters according to blur busters, but should be set with nvidia control panel. Just not sure about in this particular case.

lowfat

Staff member
Unfortunately I'm not sure I can do that for the pinball game without setting it globally for all games/monitors? (the game doesn't show up in programs, and the shortcut references a "steam game id" as opposed to the exe).

Still looking into it but I'm assuming I don't want the global settings if I can't find a way to limit the setting to that monitor or particular game?
With Rivatuner Statistics Server? You should just be able to navigate to the exe in steam\steamapps\common\

Last edited: